As the holiday season approaches, the to-do list gets bigger and bigger: preparing the Thanksgiving food, picking up a Christmas tree, maybe buying Hanukkah gifts. Add in cleaning and decorating and your mind can get so foggy even Rudolph with his nose so bright can’t help you.
What’s one thing that often gets missed in the shuffle? Windows! They’re easy to turn a blind eye to, but really, window coverings are the finishing touch to getting your home holiday ready.
Don’t worry, we have 4 ways you can spice up your windows!
1. Make sure all your windows are properly covered throughout the home.
Plus, nothing says spice like something new! Decide first on the atmosphere of the room, choose a color, and then land on a style.
- Bold shades make a statement: i.e., chocolate tones, navy blue, peach
- Natural hues brings a nature element: i.e., greens, browns, purples, and blues
- Neutral tones add a softening effect: i.e. shades of white and beige
These coverings are timeless for a reason. Roman shades, wood (or faux wood) blinds, and shutters each bring a classic element to a room. Roman shades especially have a wide range of materials, textures and fabric.
Let your window coverings be the conversation starter. Whether it’s the texture of woven wood shades, or eye-catching fabrics, like our Textured Glam Roman Shades, they are sure to leave a lasting impression.
Our Buying Guides break down which window treatment is best for you based on the room, style and more.
2. Layer window coverings to give the room a facelift.
Your holiday fit isn’t the only thing that looks better with layers. By adding to your current window coverings, you’re giving your home a fresh look.
Incorporate drapes to add dimension, and guests will think you did something new to your house. Reflect your personal style by choosing one of our solid color options, vintage chandelier designs, or artistic scribbles – all possible with our Lifestyle Custom Drapes.
If you have drapes but are looking to layer something underneath for more privacy and protection, consider adding a solar shade or cellular shades. Boom – you just added more privacy and light control to the room while creating dimension.
3. Extend the holiday spirit all the way to the windows with some decorations.
If you got it, flaunt it! Accentuate your windows by dressing them up. Just don’t forget to dust off your window blinds and shades before drawing attention to them.
You can frame or hang wreaths, snowflakes, lights, mini-ornaments and more on your windows. Depending on the window location, you can face the decor inside to add holiday cheer or face them outside for curb appeal. We recommend doing both!
4. Tie the room together with decorations that complement your windows.
If you’re completely in love with your windows and don’t want to cover them up, choose decor that will complement your current shades. Whether it’s rustic, contemporary, or something else, there is plenty out there to mix and match.
We love how Alicia Armstrong from Our Vintage Nest took a more natural, earthy approach, in decorations to complement her SelectBlinds Designer Series Woven Wood Shades in Jute Wheat. The woven texture is reflected throughout the room from the hanging wall decor to the woven blanket basket and tree collar.
But wait, there’s more!
Before you’re off to the races, be sure to do the following for a worry-free holiday:
- Seal leaky windows with weather sealer or strips to keep everyone cozy and save on your energy bill. (Those cellular shades we talked about earlier naturally insulate your windows!)
- Wash your windows with a DIY mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Wipe to a with a microfiber cloth for a no-streak shine.
- If you don’t have cordless window coverings, check your blinds or shades for exposed cords. Keep dangling cords out of reach of kids and pets by requesting our free cord cleats.
Want to talk this out more? We’re happy to help! Call or chat with one of our Design Consultants for more info! Call (888) 257-1840. They’re easy to talk to!